Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Blessing Bookshop and Loy Gratong

The Blessing Book Shop was a happening place yesterday.  Blaa had many customers come in which made it a very good day.  Blaa's bookshop ministers to several ministries with a pastor from another church coming in, a couple of girls that are Swedish missionaries, several staff and students from NEU (Northeastern University) Campus Outreach (CO), and a couple from Singapore that do mission work here in Khon Kaen as well.

I had a wonderful time hanging out with Blaa as she conducted business with everyone.  I really enjoyed meeting Judy and Vincent from Singapore and I hope to see them again in the future.  Judy has a wonderful sense of humor.

It was also fun to see Sano (snow) and Honey that are NEU staff girls with CO. I met them five years ago when I first came to Thailand.  I knew them when they were students and it is so encouraging to see them growing in their faith and continuing to share the Gospel with Thai students.

One of the highlights of the day was getting to know Milk.  She was so much fun and I enjoyed getting to hear about her walk with God.  Her English is wonderful and she has been to one of the three states I have not visited, Delaware.  It made me laugh that of all the states she has been to she has been to one that I have not visited.  What are the odds?

I can't wait until I am able to post pictures so I can introduce you to so many wonderful people.

For dinner, Blaa and I joined Fluke, Sano, Honey, Yute and Nai at a restaurant on Campus at KKU ( Khon Kaen University), and we had a feast.  I really enjoy eating Thai style.  They order several dishes and put them in the middle of the table and then everyone gets a small plate (salad plate size) full of rice and a fork and spoon.  You use the fork to load your spoon.  You use the spoon to eat.  I like using the spoon because the rice doesn't fall off.  We were all so hungry that we dove right into the food and I forgot to take any pictures. I love the food; it is all so fresh.

After dinner, we went to Loy Gratong.  Loy Gratong is a Thai religious holiday.  They place a small boat-like thing traditionally made of banana leaves decorated with flowers into the water to float away their "sins".  There is a candle and incense also in the gratong that they float away in the water.  They pray to the god of the water to thank her for water.  If a couple floats (loy) their gratong together, they believe they will be together in the next life.  People are also asking for a blessing from the water god.  I also saw some very large gratongs in the water.  People also release live fish and eels into the water which is one way to make merit.  The number one principle of Buddhism is not to kill anything and that includes mosquitoes.  They believe it is a "sin" to kill anything, so by releasing live animals they are making merit.  If you release a turtle, they believe you will live a longer life.

The rest of what I saw was like a big carnival.  There were booths set up selling clothes, jewelry, sunglasses, lots of food, dart games for prizes and carnival rides.  There was a fireworks show when we first arrived.  In addition, there was a concert.  The guys estimated there was 50,000 people there and most of them were about my height.   

1 comment:

Kate Fluker said...

I am LOVING hearing all about the fun you are having in Thailand. I hope you know that this means in a few years it will be me traveling with you instead of Mindy! I love you, miss you and am praying for you! Keep the updates coming.
~Kate