A couple of thoughts on flying: 1) avoid sitting next to a large Russian man on a flight from Bangkok to Seoul. Poor man didn't feel like his seat was enough so he used part of mine as well. I get an aisle seat because it is generally cooler and I can breathe better, but Russian men put off a lot of body heat. He couldn't speak English and he definitely could not speak Thai or Korean.
2) Koreans don't necessarily follow the lining up concept. Did they really think I didn't see them cut in front of the Thai woman in front of me?
3) Americans help others when traveling overseas. I was helped by a few others along the way and I was able to help two little Asian ladies sitting behind me from Korea to America. They were too short to reach the overhead so I put their two suitcases up there for them in spite of being runover by two very tall Korean men. I needed two large southern men at that moment who would not have put up with that.
I never know how much I miss America until I get home. I try to be all there when I am in Thailand. Here are a few observations of being home in America even though I am still in the Atlanta airport for a few more hours. I came up the escalator from the train and the smells of America swept over me and I wanted to shout, "America smells good!" I could smell fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.
When I go into a public restroom, I don't have to wonder if they have a western toilet. Guess what? I didn't use a squatty potty on this trip to Thailand.
I blend in in America. I don't stand out. 98% of the people on my flights had black hair.
In America, I am short. I like being the normal height in Thailand. But in Thailand, I am fat!
I'll have to tell you the stories of having a police officer climb into the back of the van with me in Chiang Rai. Or having to show my passport to a soldier when I was on the bus. But there is no time now.
I'm glad to be almost home. I am looking forward to seeing everyone in America. And at the same time, I miss Thailand and all my friends there!!
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment