Friday, November 05, 2010

Day 5 - The Word Encouragement Sums Up This Day

05 - Brazil - encouragement explains this day

This morning, Michelle and I awoke early to begin the day at Pao e Compania (a bakery) for breakfast with the staff girls and wives who were available: Vivi, Tathiana, Fabiana and Priscila. I had Pao de Queijo (cheese bread), a mini croissant with chocolate on it, a little bread roll, fresh fruit: papaya, pineapple, mango and apple, and espresso. Yummy!! It was fun hanging out with the ladies for breakfast. Vivi gave us a ride to and from the bakery. These ladies are just great; their desire is to see women grow in the relationship with God and then turn around and give their lives away also. I could have hung out with them all day.

After breakfast, I worked on some things I needed to get done for this weekend. Michelle ordered delivery chicken stroganoff. We had chicken stroganoff with potato sticks (like chips) for an extra topping, rice and broccoli. I tried one of their sodas today - Guarana. It looks like Ginger ale but it doesn't taste like it. It has a lot of caffeine.

I rested/napped after lunch for about an hour and then we headed to Monick's (pronounced Moe-knee-kee) home for an impromptu quilting class. It was Monick, Helenise (pronounced Ellen-knee-see), Michelle and myself. Before I forget, I had the pleasure to hold Monick's beautiful, 3-month old daughter, Marina, before she took a nap. She really was beautiful.

I gave the ladies an overview of how a quilt is put together: piece the top first, and then put the top on the batting, which is on the quilt back, quilt it, and finish it off by putting on the binding. Anyway, Helenise brought supplies and had a great idea that they make something small so they could see a complete project before I leave next week. They are each making a nine- patch square that is going to be a quilted pot holder. Actually, it will look like a miniature quilt if you think about it. They are going to bring their project with them for church day at the park on Sunday so we can look at what to do next. I loved getting to show them about quilting. They were okay with the fact that I am a novice quilter and not an expert. It was such an encouraging afternoon. Helenise has 3 kids (the oldest is 20) and she has such a heart for women in the church. She told me so many encouraging stories about women waiting God for a husband and not compromising. She shared about how her own sister did not meet her husband until she was 43. If I lived in Brazil, I would be seeking out time to spend with Helenise on a regular basis. She has this beautiful smile that just makes you feel genuinely cared for. I think I encouraged her as well through our conversations. By the way, Michelle was an excellent translator the entire time. She was translating my quilting instructions as well as all of our conversations.

We had some wonderful snacks as well. Michelle made these cookie bars involving chocolate, we had some banana bread, Helenise brought some delicious star fruit jelly that she made and I put on the bread, and Monick had drinks for us. I had a couple cups of coffee which were nice and strong.

Sweet, sweet Helenise made me a tote bag that says in Portuguese "Obrigado Melody - Amamos Voce - Mulheres Virtuosas Da Comunidade Horizonte". English - thank you melody - we love you - the virtuous women of Comunidade horizonte (which is the name of their church).

The heart of a woman that loves God looks the same whether you are Brazilian, Thai, American or some other nationality. I'm continually amazed how God unites our hearts and uses us to encourage one another just by sharing the things God is doing in and through our lives.

Mark picked Michelle and I up at 5:30 because they had students heading to their house for discussion group. It is an outreach based discussion group of students. Tonight's discussion was on "Can we be good enough?" I hung out with everyone at the beginning during snack time. More Pao de Queijo and it was fabulous!! Michelle made a cookie bar involving sugar cookie, chocolate and peanut butter. I think about 10 people came. There were several girls here that were at the cooking class and several guys. I met a couple of the guys at church this past Sunday. I met Wesley that Jessica and Justin met when they visited in August. Jessica is Michelle's twin sister. He went on and on about how much he liked Jessica and Justin. I also met another Tchiago (James is the translation). He said he likes American football and his favorite team is Southern Missouri. I convinced him he should like Auburn too. I told him Mark cheers for Alabama but that Tchiago should pull for Auburn. I told him to call Mark the day after Thanksgiving (a holiday in the United States) and say "War Eagle" to Mark. I better watch it or Mark may make me sleep outside the apartment building. Tchiago told me I had to cheer for his favorite soccer team in Belo Horizonte - Atletico - Gallo. Gallo means rooster. I told him I would agree to this and started cheering Gallo! Gallo! Gallo! Some of the students loved it and others were sneering at me. Oh well, nothing wrong with a little rivalry.

Priscila, who is on staff, brought her laptop for me to use since the discussion group needed to use Mark's so I could work on my testimony during their discussions. I closed myself off in the office and worked until they were finished. Priscila was so very sweet and left her laptop for me to use since I still needed to do some more editing.

It has been such an encouraging day and the Brazilians have pierced my heart with their outpouring of love towards me.

No comments: