Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 11 - Manicure, Churrascaria & Homeward Bound

After breakfast with the ladies, I worked on finishing up my packing for home and visited with Michelle some.

After a lunch of pizza, we went to Belezoazul (Blue Beauty) with Tathiana. Michelle had her haircut, Tathiana had a pedicure and I got a manicure. I actually got my first french manicure; we'll see how long it lasts. I am pretty rough on my nails. If I had been in Brazil a little longer, I'm sure I would have chipped them rock climbing.

It was pouring rain when we finished and Tathiana called John, her husband, and asked him to pick us up. I was very grateful.

Michelle and I watched most of Sense and Sensibility and she made each of us a cup of tea to drink during the movie. Guess what? The movie had Portuguese subtitles. I'm curious to see if my copy at home has Portuguese subtitles.

We didn't have time to finish the movie because Mark and Michelle were taking me to a Churrascaria for dinner. We went to a place called Ambrosios. It was very nice and the food was great. I had a small salad to leave room for all the meat they brought around on skewers. I tried the Picanha which was Muito Bem!! And what would one of my trips be without trying some strange food; I ate chicken hearts. They were good. I didn't over eat which was tempting to do since I was getting on a plane late in the evening.

On the way to Ambrosios, Raul called Michelle's cell phone to talk with me. I was already teary-eyed in the backseat before he called and his call put me over the edge. It isn't every day that I have a pastor from a church call me to encourage me in my walk with God. I am excited to see how God is going to build His church through Raul in Belo Horizonte.

After dinner, we had just enough time for me to change clothes and head off to the airport. I was standing in this long line waiting to check in with my 2 enormous bags when a man working at the airport approached me and asked me to follow him. He was speaking in Portuguese so Michelle said to follow him. He opened the band/rope keeping me in line and took my bags to a much faster place to check in that was set apart from everything else. I would have been in that line for at least 30 minutes if he had not picked me out of the line. They didn't even weigh my bags.

I really didn't want to say goodbye to Mark and Michelle. They have been such gracious hosts. I can't remember if I wrote on Sunday that Michelle saved me from a speeding bus as we crossed the street. I didn't see it and Michelle pulled me off the street before I was crushed. We were actually almost across when the bus came speeding through the intersection. Pedestrians do not have the right of way in Brazil.

Now it is Thursday morning and I am sitting in the Miami airport. I slept for several hours on the plane so I feel somewhat rested. I am looking forward to a shower when I get home but at least I have washed my face and put a little make-up on.

I will finish up the Brazil trip posting in the next couple of days when I am better rested and have more time to reflect. I will also post the last of the pictures.

Bom Dia!

No comments: